Monday, January 23, 2012
We Make it Happen
The strange thing about life's changes is the initial feeling of how overwhelming everything seems at first and then somehow everything just works out. I couldn't imagine bringing Ashton home from the hospital days after his surgery when he seemed so sick and depressed. Yet, we did it. Then I couldn't imagine him being in the hip spica cast for 4-6 weeks, but we got through it. Then I wondered how he would make the adjustments needed to return to school in his wheel chair, but again it has been better than expected. What is the lesson in all of this? Kids adapt, parents adapt, life goes on. Differently, but much the same too. Here's Ashton's take on his return to school:
What is the best part of going back to school? I get to play catch with my friends at recess.
What's the hardest part of the day? Writing, because I don't like it so much.
How is school different in a wheelchair? It's fun because I get to ride around everywhere.
Are you embarrassed that your mom has to assist you in the bathroom at school? No, it's fine.
How are the crutches? I'm getting pretty good at them now.
What are you expecting the doctor to say at your next appt.? I think he'll say I can try to walk again. I don't know if I can yet, but I'll try.
Is sleeping easier now that you are out of the cast? Yes, totally! Showers are good again, too.
How do you feel about being sideline support for your basketball team? It's pretty fun because I'm still part of the team. The last game was intense!
What are you planning to do with the paper banner your friends made for you? I'm going to keep it until I can run through it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- GETyourMOMMYon
- I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a student currently taking blogger 101 from my sisters.

Love the updates. I am glad that you can adapt to things. Luckily we can choose to have a good attitude about things and it sounds like you are all doing that. Melissa
ReplyDeleteI love the interview with Ashton and I love the answer to the last question!
ReplyDelete