Friday, November 4, 2011

Physical Therapy Progress

Ashton's Update in his own words: 
 I've been going to physical therapy and it is fun. I get to use a machine that looks like a bike that doesn't fall down. (I just learned how to spell ma-ch-in-e at school.) Some of the exercises hurt a little too.  When I practice my stretches at home it is hard because it hurts really badly and we don't have the bike machine.  I have to practice touching my toes which is a little challenging.  I have tried a few wheel chairs out and I like the way they feel because I get to rest instead of walking.  Today we found out our dog Jasper has a lump on his hip and he needs surgery in one week.  I wonder why he can get fixed first!



Yes, we are thankful for Lacy, the physical therapist that can keep Ashton distracted from the work he does there.  He thinks it's cool to use the gym since he can't use the one mom and dad use at the recreation center.  At home physical therapy exercises are like homework----a chore!

Meanwhile, Jasper, our twelve year old dog started struggling to walk himself.  He has a mass near his hip that will get removed next week.  It is interesting how some problems can get fixed faster.  That's not so easy to explain to Ashton.  In fact that is one of the greatest challenges.  Ashton doesn't have a cast, crutches, or any other obvious reminder that his bones are fragile.  So although he took it easy initially, he is creeping back into playground activities and I'm torn.  Do I make him rest or let him do what he can and figure it out on his own?  Right now I'm letting him partially participate---because he's an active boy and I know he'll miss out in a more significant way later.

And while I do think it is helpful to let Ashton sit in a wheelchair at the stores that offer them...it is also a test of my patience.  He doesn't want me to push it.  He wants to maneuver it himself and it isn't always a graceful production.  So if you saw us at the zoo, Koehl's or Costco...I apologize.

On a positive note...Ashton remains strong willed and eager to conquer Perthes and get back to normal.  Clearly he will.

1 comment:

  1. Your boys are both so determined and strong! I'm so proud of Ashton too for being ready and willing to beat this!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a student currently taking blogger 101 from my sisters.