Some of you already know that Ashton has been thrown a curveball in life. His diagnosis is Perthes Disease, a degenerative bone disease that affects his hip and right leg. It's pretty rare, but we have already learned of 2 other people...friends of friends, that know of someone who experienced perthes in their own childhoods so we may need to call on them for support.
The upside is the disease is NOT life threatening. The downside is there is NO CURE. The disease has to progress before bone regeneration can occur so things are going to get harder before Ashton can climb the mountain to recovery. Perthes is generally a two to four year struggle and then things normalize until adulthood when hip replacements are commonly required.
Here's Ashton's story in his own words:
For a long time my leg has been hurting. It hurts to walk to school, it hurts laying in bed, it hurts to bend down to my shoes and it hurts so much I can't pedal my bike anymore. In January my x-rays looked really good. The doctor said he thought my legs were really healthy. This summer I started limping and I couldn't help it. My mom took me to another doctor called an orthopedist. He did another x-ray and noticed my "broken hip". He told me not to play any sports. I can't run, jump, kick, or walk very far. My hip needs to rest. Next, we went to Salt Lake Children's Hospital. The doctor said I have Perthes and he is going to help fix me but it will take a long time.More good news...Ashton is even taking his departure from sports in stride. He is still going to support his flag football team and he knows that even pro players sometimes end up on the injured reserve list temporarily.
More good news...Ashton is somehow relieved by all of this. Even before the St. George doctor came in with the diagnosis, Ashton said, "Mom what are we going to do if he says my leg is fine, when we know it isn't? "Finally, there is a reason for his chronic pain. Since he is in 2nd grade broken bones, crutches, and wheelchairs are exciting...for now.
More good news...30 years ago children with Perthes were hospitalized for months and in bed even longer. Some wore awkward orthopedic braces for 4 years. Our doctor assured us that new research provides enough reason not to limit his movement for that long...THANK YOU MEDICAL REARCHERS!!!
Here is the plan for the near future...6 weeks of physical therapy to help his lack of hip movement and muscle atrophy. Then back to Salt Lake after Thanksgiving for a progress report. A surgery in December is likely, but not set in stone. The surgery would be to stretch his tendons and cast his legs in the proper position within the hip sockets. The cast looks like an A with the two legs casted completely with a pole between them. There are several personal accounts of Perthes on youtube. I personally like the happy ending in this one...it will give you an idea of what Ashton will likely go through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTHzIvS5iM&noredirect=1


Megan and Ashton (and Brit and Aiden, too) - your Coral Canyon Elementary friends are thinking about you and rooting for you! Please ask for any help or support you need, and rest assured that it will be there for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting us share your journey. Little painful clues from last year are starting to make sense now. He has been hurting for quite some time. I loved Ashton's own narrative. Please know that our love and prayers go with you!
ReplyDeleteLarry, Tammy, and girls
That little video made me cry! Your family is so strong and Ashton has such a great outlook on things. Please know that we are all here for you if you ever need anything! -Kelsey-
ReplyDeleteEven already knowing all of this I still cried reading it and watching the video. I love you all!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this, Megan! I want to be up on the news, but know it's hard for you to repeat things 100 times. Good luck! I'll get the name of the folks in Toquerville for you! I need to find a copy of my picture of me in my body cast when I broke my hip! I have some pretty fun stories I need to tell you both.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update, we have been thinking about Ashton and your family a lot. I loved the You Tube video...can't wait for it to be Ashton in the last scene with the wheelchair!!
ReplyDeleteKim Powell