Last Friday I returned home from 3 hard teacher prep hours
I filed, I copied, I stocked copy paper, I climbed ladders, I recycled, I attended a team meeting, I rearranged my snack cupboard...directly over my large sink with a large drain...and you can see where I'm going with this only to look down at my hand in horror. My beautiful ring no longer looked beautiful. It had a scary empty hole where the center diamond should have been.
I quickly drove, yes drove, as fast as I could back to my classroom to catch the diligent custodian before he vacuumed my classroom. I was too late, he was just wrapping up the cord. "Well, I said, at least I caught you before you dumped the bag!" I brought the very full vacuum bag home and went out into the driveway (it was 106 degrees still) with my two eager helpers to go dust hunting for a diamond. Britt offered to take us out to dinner if we found it. We found a diamond shaped paper and a stunning craft jewel among the filth, but no diamond.
Naturally, I lost sleep over it. Who can sleep when they are wondering if their very special diamond could be at the bottom of an animal cracker box in the snack cupboard?
On Monday I pathetically told a handful of co-workers to pay attention to sparkly things on the floor...but I'm a realist and I knew finding my diamond would be like finding a lost baby tooth in the woodchips. I've had to pretend to look for that before, too. While teaching onTuesday, there was a knock on my outside classroom door. A co-worker who was walking a boy from his classoom out to a portable classroom had noticed the boy rolling something around in his hand and then he dropped it. He fumbled around to retrieve it when the teacher asked, "What are you looking for?"
"My diamond (said the 6 year old boy)!" She got down close and picked it up and low and behold it was an actual diamond! Fortunately, this was one of 5 people I had told about my diamond in a school of 35 teachers!
Do any of you grasp the magnitude of the insane odds here? In five days this loose diamond had been lost and found and carried outside and dropped in the presence of one of the few people I had told my sad story to. This boy's classroom teacher has since told me that this particular student is always rolling something around in his fingers: scraps of paper, miniscule crayon shavings, broken paper clips, etc. and she tells him multiple times in one day..."THROW THAT AWAY!"
I literally had goosebumps! Britt was thrilled! Aidan and Ashton cheered because we would get to go out to dinner...and we all are living happily ever after like the photo at the very top of the page!
The same day the following story was in the news...and since my story already had an ending, I could be amused. I feel your pain, Kendall Langford!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oNJ-VJhBBE
Friday, September 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- GETyourMOMMYon
- I'm a mom, a wife, a teacher and a student currently taking blogger 101 from my sisters.



I am so glad you found it!!
ReplyDeleteMarisa