Palatal Expander Day 1Upon hearing that Aidan was going to get this expander on the roof of his mouth, he was excited. Afterall, braces are a symbol of how cool you are when you are in 2nd grade. What second grader doesn't stretch out a paperclip and pretend to have a retainer? I saw the x-ray and knew Aidan's mouth needed some attention. Still, a mother worries. Will kids make fun of his speech as he learns to talk with this device? Will he talk less? Will it hurt? Will he be able to eat his favorite foods? Thankfully, my seven year old is wise beyond his years. He said, "It's going to be good for my teeth so how bad can it be?" After his appointment he still wanted a hamburger for dinner. I was hesitant, but didn't want to tell him he probably couldn't eat the same way. He had to experience it to realize that eating is going to be a different experience for awhile. On the way home from the restaurant, with 85% of the hamburger wrapped back up in a bag, I told him I had a "neck gear" when I was a kid. I described how the wires went across my face screwed into my teeth and were strapped tightly behind my neck. I think it helped. He sympathetically said, "Wow, I'm glad I wasn't around in the old times." By the way, I really had forgotten about the neck gear until now...I hope the expander becomes a distant memory for Aidan one day too.
UPDATE...It's all going smoothly. Aidan can still eat and talk and doesn't even complain about this thing!

Awwww...tell him I wished I had been forced into some braces or an expander...I think my mouth is too narrow and even though I can still straighten my teeth, my dentist said I am stuck with my narrow mouth. After the age of about 18...there is nothing you can do. Hope he gets used to it quick! Also, loved the previous post about the movie date. Too Cute!
ReplyDeleteyou may not remember this but I had an expander. I remember I had a little key and had to turn once a day. i remember it well but a barely remember the pain. And am so happy to have straight teeth!
ReplyDelete